Building these folding sawhorses I ran into a few errors I made. Check those out below in red, so you won’t make the same errors 🙂
So, the sawhorses are of the folding type, so you can store them away and they will take less space.
Once built together they are sturdy, and you wouldn’t know that they are foldable, so that’s a plus.
Here’s a picture of my end result, in action. In action?? yup, from the pieces of 2×4 that were left over, I made some hooks that I hung on the wall, and now I can hang the saw horses up on the wall, and they don’t take up any flor space, even! 🙂 Me happy to be working with wood. The wife happy to have some space in the laundry room 🙂
Building plans / cut list
Steve Ramsey has a link under the youtube video to his site, where you can download the cut list. here it is.
There are some photo’s on that page as well, so you should be good to go to build the sawhorses yourself.
What I did wrong
One thing I did wrong was drilling the pocket holes too deep 🙁
This could happen because I don’t have a pocket hole jig, so I made one…. didn’t turn out perfect, but better than drilling the pocket holes by hand.
And here’s the result:
The only problem being that I drilled too deep. Next time I should be more careful.
Never mind the sagged bricks. Those are thanks to our ‘friends’ the lizards, who like to dig their burrows under there.
Here’s the hinge that I used:
The advantage of this hinge is that the legs wobble a little relative to each other. This will cover up any mistakes you make aligning the legs.
The disadvantage is that the legs wobble a little relative to each other. However, once the saw horse is set up, there’s no wobble to be noticed anymore, so that’s ok.
And since I don’t have any precision tools, wobblyness is good for me 🙂
wobblyness is good for me
Next problem I had:
This is a funny one, and it happened due to the pocket holes that I drilled too deep.
The top bar was now pretty loose on the leg due to the bad pocket hole.
So I thought I’d put a long screw from the top right into that leg…
But I screwed it into the hinged leg…. so now I couldn’t fold my saw horse anymore aarghhhhh
What I did was unscrewing the pocket holes, and let the legs on the other side be fixed with the long screws. This works out perfectly for me.
If you don’t have a pocket hole jig?
then I’d suggest fixing the first leg with two small temporary screws from the bottom, like so:
then turn the thing over, and screw a long screw in from the top, thus fixing the leg properly. Now you can remove the temporary screws.
Last error I made
So, I had my top bar, and the legs all together, so it was time to put the shelf together.
I didn’t have plywood, so I used four pieces of old pallet wood that I had laying around.
For the second saw horse, I measured the distance between the legs right on top, near the hinge, and I used that for the length of the pallet boards. This works fine, so you can rotate the shelf upwards and downwards, whatever you like.
However, on the first saw horse I made, I just eyeballed it, and it turned out that the legs were standing a bit outward from each other, so further away at the bottom, than on the top.
Therefore, I made the shelf too long. this means that now I can only rotate the shelf downwards. And to be able to do that, I have to force the legs a bit beyond where they should rotate, so that the shelf can pass inside of the dowel in the folding legs, and then downwards.
It works, but it’s a little bit more work than rotating upwards, like Steve does in his video.
I just remembered another error I made. On one of the two saw horses, I fixed the axis/rotating part of the shelf to the two fixed legs. This means that the folding legs are not connected when the saw horse is folded.
This means you will have two legs moving about freely. On the other saw horse, I have two fixed legs, and two moving legs, but they are held together by the shelf.
Well, it’s not really bad, but I think I will fix this some day.